Saturday, December 27, 2008

I'm coming to terms, I'm starting to learn that this ain't all it's cracked up to be...

Alright kids, I hope everyone had as awesome of a holiday as I did. I can't believe it's almost over...I've got one day left in The Heights and I've gotta make sure I spend it wisely. So far, the cheese danish/coffee combo I had for breakfast and Pride and Prejudice with my mom and sister seems like a good start, but we'll see.

Christmas was amazing this year as my mother is fantastical and bought me a laptop. I don't even know how to use a laptop and I often times find myself on the verge of dropping it/stepping on it so we'll see how this goes. It's pretty though, red and shiny so that already decides how good it is, doesn't it? I think so.
Last night I hung out with the girls for the first time in like a year. Jill came to town so we met up at Mongo for some excellent dinner and then went to Bar Louie's for some drinks and had a Bazooka Joe shot which has made it's way onto "Ashley's List of Girly Shots She Won't Throw Up after Drinking" so that's always a plus. From there we somehow convinced her to go see Twilight during which Jill laughed her ass off at the terrible acting and graphics. Somehow that is the THIRD TIME i've seen that flick, which is really just sick. But whatevs, that kid is a dream boat and I would sit through any amount of garbage for hours on end just to hear him say the words "You are my life now" outloud and pretend he was saying it to me.
After that we hit up Rosie O'Grady's where the boys were a hot mess, we danced around like kids and I almost hit several of them in the parking lot on their walk home because boys are dumb and like to do stuff like that the age of 25...walk home at two in the morning for no freaking reason.

So now I'm looking forward to the New Year and trying to decide on some resolutions for myself. I submitted my book to The Key before the holidays and it doesn't look promising as I haven't heard back from them yet and I dunno, I'm just pretty sure I'm not cut out for their caliber of writing. I'm realizing now that maybe I'm out of my league with my topic and my style but I guess that doesn't mean I should give up. If and when they turn down my manuscript I'm just gonna start from scratch. Write about something i really know and maybe that will work better for me. Not that anyone cares, just felt like I should put something down in words to remind myself never to give up. Giving up is for suckers.

Fun Facts:
1. Job interview in March in NYC (scream here of excitement) for a teaching position for next fall. Too bad that the job is actually in L.A. and I don't know if I could ever actually see myself moving all the way out there alone just for a job but who knows. It would suck to have to leave everyone behind, including Scott and Pittsburgh of course, but I figure I have my whole life to live in one place near friends and family and what not and what I really need to do now is figure out what I'm doing for me. Teaching has to be in my future because, hello, I'm a genius and need to spread the love. Since Michigan is a black hole of employment and Pennsylvania and the entire midwest is basically the same, i just have to follow the jobs. Wish me luck. If nothing else, it will make for an awesome weekend in The City with Kel and Beth where I'm sure if theres a Jimmy Johns in the vicinity, we'll have one hell of a time.

2. We got two puppies for Christmas. The real obstacle is discovering whether or not they've eaten my entire house by the time I make it back for a visit. Their names are Bridgette and Barnum and they're ridiculously cute and they use that to their advantage like black magic for their mischief. Those eyes and rolly polly bellies suck you in to submission where in the next moment you'll discover they've inhaled four house plants and your power cord for your brand new laptop. yay!

3. Ray Lamontagne's CD "Gossip in the Grain" is so mystical I actually weep when I hear it. Find someone you love and that loves to dance and play "You are the best thing" really loudly while swinging about the livingroom. It reminds you what love is. It reminds me of Beth and Kel.

Alright my sister got The Magic Bullet for Christmas (not exactly what I thought it was going to be when my mom said she bought it for her...moved passed the horror, found out it's a kitchen appliance. thank gawd) and she's going to whip me up an omelette and a smoothie while I stand at the kitchen counter like I'm in an infomercial, telling her the entire time there's no way one little machine can make us so many things. We're also going to crush macadamia nuts in thirty seconds or less into a fine powder. just cause we can.

No comments: