Monday, June 14, 2010

Hablo Espanol

I'm currently taking Spanish lessons with one of the mothers at my job. This means that every Monday night after an intense two hours of private tutoring and Spanish soap operas to help me practice, I come home with a heavy accent and start demanding things of my family...like, immediately. En Espanol. This also means that my mother picks up maybe one out of every twenty phrases I say and texts me haphazardly "Komos estas!" which is actually NOT how you spell "como esta" at all.

Lastly it means that my inner Colombian is clearly making an appearance. I've started taking up spicier foods and shaking my thing when I walk around the house. I speak English with an accent now. I tell my cat "vamos!" in the morning when we both have to leave the room so I can lock up and guarantee that she doesn't crap on my stuff while I'm gone.

My point is that being multi-cultural suddenly in a life where I'm not actually even a tiny bit of the culture I'm choosing to represent is kind of funny. Or awkward, you can take your pick.

And I'm not saying that because of this you need to go out and get the Lawson Rollins cd. All I'm sayin' is that there is a reason women fall in love with Spanish men as they make their way through the country side, sipping sangria. Sure, it's a tiny part Sangria. But it's mostly the dark hair, the accent...and the fingers.



Aye dios mio.

No comments: