Tuesday, December 22, 2009

My Wish For You: Volume 1

I KNOW, don't even start. I realize that I promised I'd blog everyday and the amount of people who came back time and time again yesterday according to my statcounter (Hello, Warrenton, VA)revealed that people think I mean it when I promise something and are now pissed and for that I'm sorry. You get a two-fer today! HOOORRRAAYYY!!

It occurred to me in the car on the way home from work this afternoon, whilst listening to Bob Marley, that I worry too much. About stupid stuff too. Like, "Why did she cut my bangs this length? Where am I going to find a good recipe for gingerbread cookies? Does this length make my face look too round? I hope nothing is seriously wrong with our family cat that keeps crapping on my mom's bed....do you think if I went back to the hairdresser and asked her to fix it, she would charge me?" and so on and so forth. We all do it.

And then, the most fantastic movie-moment happened. "Three Little Birds" started to play and suddenly I was bobbing said awful bangs to the beat of "don't worry about a thing" and feeling like everything was SERIOUSLY going to be alright.

It has also come to my attention that I need to start thinking about the New Year or, as I would like to refer to it as "The Year that couldn't possibly be as bad as '09". I mean...we lost Michael Jackson AND Brittany Murphy? Will the torture that is 2K9 NEVER END???

Thus, Bob Marley + 2K10 = My Wish For You Blog Post series in volumes.
Today's Wish: No More Stress.
If there's one thing I hope that I have more control over next year, it's that I need to realize I have very little control over anything at all. Seriously, the universe will do whatever the F it wants anyway so what does worrying get me? Will standing in line at the Walmart, fretting over the smell of the new makeup remover wipes mean that there will be no odor at all in the end? NO. Will losing sleep over the thought that the pants I want to wear in two weeks to a fantastic party might not fit mean that they will actually end up fitting better in the long run? UNFORTUNATELY, NO. We need less stress. We need more laughter. We need to push the worries out the windows, to take things as they come, and to always have plenty of booze on hand for when the worries become reality.
Here is my vow to you, strange and wonderful, faithful observer. When I come across you standing in the grocery aisle, holding two different jars of peanut butter and you have that stricken look on your face that can only mean you can't tell if less fat means less taste or if it truly is the peanut butter of your dreams and will your husband actually eat anything that says "less fat" on the label strictly on principle and what if that means less trans fat but more essential oils which have been proven lately to be just as bad for you as what they claim to be taking out and can you possibly use this in your grandmother's peanut butter thumb print cookie recipe and THE WORLD MIGHT END OVER THIS JAR OF JIFF....I will kindly take your hand in mine and lead the entire condiments aisle through a hymn of Kumbaya.
All I ask in return is you do the same for me.

1 comment:

Beth said...

Love this.

And I have NEVER known your breath to stink, not ever. That kid is an asshole.