Monday, March 29, 2010

For Humanity. And New Nikes.

My good friend Kelley, whom I talk about relentlessly on this blog to the point where I'm pretty sure you know her personally, sent me an email recently regarding a good friend of hers. Because his struggles were so much like my own in the past, let's start there, shall we?

A few years ago I was extremely moved by the Darfur problem in Sudan. I mean, I'm still moved by it. While I am a member of the coalition and have written some pieces including a longer work that is still in the modes of editing (read: sitting on my hard drive untouched due to lack of time and energy), there came a point where I wanted to do more.
I was a recent graduate. I had no job, no responsibility! People were dying around the world and I wanted to help! So I called everyone I could. "How do you get involved? How do you volunteer in Sudan? What kind of shots are necessary for that type of oversea travel?"

Dude, turns out they don't just let anybody go to Sudan without special permission. At the time, it made no sense. "Hello...you need volunteers. I'm a volunteer. I have all my working limbs and am avoiding the responsibilities of real life for as long as possible...TAKE ME." That didn't cut it. Turns out that all world organizations only take on volunteers who have relief experience, which took me a while to understand.

(To Achieve World Relief Experience: Volunteer at a local shelter. Then, be approved to volunteer in a U.S. city where a flood/natural disaster has occurred. Then, volunteer to go to Mexico on a mission trip for orphans. FINALLY be approved to go to Chile for earth quake relief efforts. HOW do they even keep volunteers at this rate? It's like the longest application process EVER.)

All my whining aside, I did not get to go to Sudan which is perhaps better off for everyone. Turns out there's a lot of sand there. It's not that I can't stand sand, I'm just a pain in the ass for everyone else when the sand becomes a pain in MY ass, literally.

Back to the present: My friend Kelley has a friend named Steph who has a brother named Jordan who wanted to help Haiti in much the same way I wanted to help in Darfur. However, he's not only smarter about it but he's more determined. When he called and asked the operator of such details how he could get to Haiti to help, the woman actually said "You could always walk".

Dude, he's doing it. He's walking from Minnesota to Florida starting Sunday, March 27th in an attempt to raise awareness and funds for Haiti relief efforts. You can visit the great details of such a feat at iwalkforlove.com and donate, but if nothing else, spread the word so others know there's a way they can help too, just in case they can't get their own 100 day walk together in time.

And seriously, someone get this kid a new pair of shoes and some coffee. Sunscreen. Books on tape. Oh, and a Purple Heart. Good luck, Jordan. We're rooting for you.

3 comments:

kell said...

You're a fantastical friend my love.

Anonymous said...

This is Steph, Jordan's sister. My family and I greatly appreciate your time and attention to this. My brother is an amazing human being, inspirational to not only strangers but his own family and friends alike. He walks with so many people in his heart, and in turn so many people are holding him in theirs. This is the type of human reciprocity so rarely experienced, yet so often sought after. Your support is a blessing. Thank you.

Ash in the Pitts said...

I only wish I could do more! Thank you for your kind words, your brother is in our thoughts!