Monday, March 01, 2010

The White Rabbit

I'm getting really excited for all of this Alice in Wonderland nonsense. I mean, I've never really been a fan of the movies. The Disney version used to scare me because The Caterpillar was so comically indifferent and yet opinionated. Did you ever notice that? As children, we essentially watched a hookah puffing caterpillar yell at Alice for not reciting poetry correctly upon first meeting one another all while becoming disgruntled with his own ass. His temper is extreme! He speaks in question marks and letters of the alphabet. Clearly, the person who was in charge of writing this character was high. Which is fine. It's just a little disorienting.

What's also in it's own world is the soundtrack for the new version of the film called Almost Alice. I don't actually know what that means. I mean, it's her still, isn't it? Sure, she's older and she probably has a better rack and is taller, but it's still essentially the same girl. (Also weird side note - I saw the latest version of Vanity Fair where the girl who plays Alice is on the cover. She has short hair! And not just like, hey your hair is shorter than this ridiculous character you play, but like , hey, where the f did all your hair go? You look like Peter Pan!)

I tried listening to the soundtrack. I just don't get it. The only song that really piqued my interest is the cover of White Rabbit - originally it's done by Jefferson Airplane (yeah...I dunno)but now done by the wonderful and always enlightening Grace Potter and The Nocturnals. You know, if you're in a kind of eclectic, throw back to classic rock and pot kind of mood.

No comments: