Monday, March 15, 2010

Like A Glowing, Glow Worm That Glows With Pride. GLOW GLOW GLOW.

Rarely do I come home from work with good news. A lot of the time, it's not that I even have just regular "I'm home from work, this was my day news". No, typically it's tragically awful kid stuff. "So and so ate a raisin through their nose today" or "I was almost fired due to a wet-wipe incident that you don't want to know the details of".

That kind of stuff. Stuff you can't believe you actually have to go work meetings for. You know work meetings. The kind where someone gets a pizza and fourteen hostile employees sit around a table and stare at one another over the AWFUL and INTIMIDATING agenda from your boss that sits in front of them on the table top with stuff labeled like "Windex Problem" and "Why Overtime Doesn't Exist".

Grumble, grumble, blah blah.

And I would just like to say that this is the first time in history I left a work meeting with a smile on my face. For all intents and purposes, it was totally set up to be one of those awful "We really have to discuss the type of toilet paper in the adult bathroom" types of meetings that I was dreading. And to top it all off, I'm back to being the new girl in an old position and I knew someone was just WAITING to get all "Someone needs to tell Ashley WHAT.IS.UP. because she's new here and rehrehrehrehrehrehrherhe" so that I could be all "CHILD, PUH-LEASE, I've been working here since you were a glimmer in the unemployment eye, you just didn't know it during my hiatus!" that would eventually lead to mud wrestling and, hopefully, Team Work Meeting of Shots to wrap up the evening.

Alas, it did not go as such. For some reason, everyone took their Cat Medication today and were feeling agreeable and not in the mood for Jaeger and some mud flinging. People were cordial over their tuna salad. No one called me newb. I didn't have to punch anyone, which I will call a success for today.

And to top it all off, I had a shining moment where my boss stood up and declared to everyone...and I mean EVERYONE in the room, "Ashley is phenomenal...and therefore, is allowed to boss you around when I'm not around, because I said so."

I don't know if you've ever been given a promotion like this at your job. I don't think I've ever even heard of such a promotion. The "She Can Boss You Card Because She's Awesome" and I don't know if it comes with a dental plan or just the feeling of complete satisfaction of your place in life but once my face changed from purple to red to a fine glowing shade of pink to the tips of my ears, and OTHERS stopped congratulating me on how efficient and effective they've found me to be in the work place, I took a brownie and went home. Perhaps I am bragging just a little bit but this really is my attempt to finally acknowledge that being employed isn't all terrible toilet paper and wet wipes you can get fired over. Oh, and raisins that have the potential to kill children.

It can be pretty cool too.

No comments: