Saturday, March 13, 2010

Yeah, I Can't Believe It Either

Last night Scott and I went to see Alice in Wonderland with his mom. Frankly, I was a little worried for various reasons.

One of which was that it ended up being in 3-D which, because I'm so much like my mother, makes me nauseous. It's like when we went into Hot Topic that one year for my sister's Christmas gifts and it was so stifling and hot and dark and full of teenage angst and angry t-shirts that we had to tag one another in and out to find the items on her list while the other stood outside in recovery for thirty seconds feverishly sipping from a Diet Coke, dreading her next turn. Yes. 3D movies are like a marathon of terrible shopping for me.

Secondly, people kept saying "Oh it was great, but it will scare the pants off kids if they went to see it" and that only worries me because I'm slightly like a child myself. Ok, fine, I'm a lot like a child. As in, I still can't watch David the Gnome without getting upset.

Thirdly, I tried listening to the soundtrack a few weeks ago in my eager anticipation and couldn't really find crap to write about. It was all psychedelic and spacey which only confused me and I was all 'How can I possibly watch a film where the music is awful?!" and my cat, who doesn't appreciate it when I talk in bed after she has clearly settled down for the night gave me the angry eyes which only cemented my feelings further. There just would be no Alice in Wonderland for me.

And then we all know what happened. I came across White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane, covered by Grace Potter and now the soundtrack won't leave my desktop. I even left the film last night humming the Avril Lavigne tune she made for the film.

That's right. Humming Avril Lavigne. And no, I wasn't thirteen again, wearing punk rock pigtails (because that was as punk as I got back then) and jamming to Skater Boi. This was legit, 'I think I might be enjoying some Avril, here, kids' humming.

So I'm sorry for the repeat Alice posting, but the latest to hit my deck is Strange, by Kerli Koiv and Tokyo Hotel and I can already picture myself regretting this choice. It's very Evanescence and we all know how THEY turned out. But it really has helped me clean my bedroom this morning and we all know how if a song can get me to actually move my ass, it must be magical. I also found a bag of potato chips in my purse I forgot I took home from Panera yesterday, so it could be the pure, uninhibited joy taking over my body as I ingest one kettle crunchy peace of Heaven after another.

What I guess I'm trying to say is that I hope you don't waste five minutes of your life today listening to this song because I'm high on chips.

No comments: