Sunday, April 04, 2010

High Recommendations

I had so much to do this weekend that I literally made a To Do list and then counted the items on it (52!) which was, obviously, immediately followed by raucous screaming and tantrum throwing where I finally collapsed on my bed, picked up a new book that I bought last weekend and said "F it. Being an adult is stupid anyway" and then ignored all responsibility from that point forward.

Needless to say, the list still has 52 items on it and I'm SO ROYALLY SCREWED.

But so happily read!

I wandered around Barnes and Nobles with Scott last weekend in hopes to cross some books off the ever-growing list in my purse when what to my wondering eyes did appear but the NEW Jodi Picoult book on the front table, like a shining beacon from Heaven that screamed, "YES ASHLEY...THERE IS A SANTA CLAUS!" and my coronary began and Scott was like "Woman, pull yourself together we are in public!" and I was like "Don't you smother my happiness, this is the most WONDROUS of all surprises God could have sent me!" and, of course, his shameful head shaking started and didn't stop until it was safely in my clutches, amongst my many other purchases and we made it to the car where no one could actually witness the tears of joy shed over this hard cover dream.

Now that I think about it, we probably won't be book shopping together anytime in the near future. It only ends in my ridiculous squealing while he carries my heavy stuff, yet tries to pretend he's not actually with me because I'm browsing the "Who else has written a Vampire love story?" section in the Young Adults. I don't even feel bad. This is who I am and getting me in a book store is like releasing a Lion in Sal's Butchery and being all 'Now, don't touch anything and for Heaven's sake, DON'T get excited!"

The new book, now that I've finally gotten around to it, is House Rules by Jodi Picoult and is flipping fantastic. Sometimes my love for Jodi wains...sometimes she comes out with a new one and I'm so excited for it that my heart actually thuds to the floor when I finish it and am left with the "that's it?" feeling that shreds my insides. But THIS one I'm talking about in particular because I truly feel like anyone could enjoy it, guys and girls alike.

Synopsis: Autistic teenage boy gets caught up in a murder that the reader doesn't know if he committed or not because he's so oddly socially inept and autistic that by the end of the book you really think to yourself that he might just be capable of what they said he was.

And I loved it! I'm not a book reviewer or anything...I wouldn't know how to do that professionally and my reviews would be so unbelievably biased that everytime someone picked up the crap magazine I reviewed in weekly they'd be like, "Great...I have no idea how the new Stephen King novel is but, of course, Ashley is LOVING Vampire Love Story #892" and thus, I would be fired.

But this! I give my highest recommendations! I review whole heartedly just for my loving readers! Buy it! Procrastinate Today!

No comments: