Friday, February 26, 2010

The Female Psyche

Devin: Did you hear Hannah Montana is retiring?

Megan: Oh, yeah I did hear that.

Devin: I really want to see that movie about The Last Song she's doing. It looks sa-

Megan: So you know how Jack T is dating now?

Devin: (paused...obviously confused she's been interrupted during the H.Mont. conversation) Uh...yeah?

Megan: JILLY asked him out.

Devin: (stunned silence). No. Way.

Megan: YEAH. (obviously disgruntled. Appalled. She can't even keep the macaroni in her mouth she's so enraged)

Devin: But he's YOURS.

Megan: Oh, Devin, you don't have to tell me. I know he's mine.

Devin: Wow. Hey...are you going to eat your kiwi?

Megan: I don't eat kiwi.

I would say that this conversation surprised me and I laughed for an extended period of time, because for the most part, that would be true. It's irrational and unorganized and actually doesn't follow any sort of normal pattern to a conversation. Also, they talked about stupid shit which makes it even funnier.

(Like, can Hannah Montana actually retire? She's eight and a half. I would say they should call it a "career move" rather than "retirement". She takes off a wig. That's not retiring. That's favoring one over another in your multiple personality disorder.)

Like, I was saying, I wanted to laugh at them and giggle at their silly expense. Except it was only moments later that I realized last week Beth and I were laying in her bed together when this conversation occurred after I had spent the night:

Me: Hey! You put pants on!

Beth: I know, I got cold.

Me: You clawed me in the face last night.

Beth: Oh, I'm sorry! Are you ok?

Me: Yeah, it's alright. You actually have very little hands.

Beth: I know, right?....(sigh. We both stare at the ceiling, dreading our morning work out.)

Me: Hey...is Euro Sauce the same as Tartar Sauce?

Beth: (Eruptous laughter) Would you like me to make you some pancakes or an egg sandwich?

Me: No thank you. I love you.

Beth: I love you too.

This is just the way the female mind works. I've come to accept it. And while my inner (kind of) adult wanted to laugh out loud at these two ten years having a serious conversation about pop culture and men, I couldn't bring myself to do that.

Because I'm just no better.

P.S.

Beth: Nope. I'm pretty sure you only put one of them on fish.

No comments: