Thursday, February 04, 2010

You're Gonna Have My Soul, It Was Yours To Have Long Ago

Does anybody remember that scene from Weeds..maybe the third season finale? In a crazed fit of "what the crap do I do now?" when Nancy discovered all the black tar heroine in her house, or maybe it was after Shane ran off to Pittsburgh....I really can't remember. What it is was, she was losing her bananas and poured gasoline all over her house during the neighborhood forest fires. She stood on her couch and just dumped away and then lit a match like none of it ever mattered. It kind of irritated me because for so long she was only dealing pot in the first place so she could support her household and suddenly, she's STILL dealing weed and lighting the whole joint a flame. (HA. No pun intended, seriously, I saw that during editing!)

That's not really my point. My point is that today I had one of those days where I could have easily justified lighting it all on fire, getting in my car and disappearing. Not because my day was awful or something bad happened. Just because sometimes you get the feeling like you want to run away. I don't need these clothes or this computer or the two years worth of Time magazine I've been saving in the corner of my bedroom. I'm going to drive until I hit a small town in Iowa, cut off all my hair and become a waitress at a truck stop where all we serve is cherry pie and heartache. Reinvent myself. Tell everyone my name is Lucy in the Sky.

Are you confused yet? You shouldn't be. Your idea of a different life probably looks nothing like that, but the feeling is still just as strong to get away and never turn around. If only you weren't so sane, you might actually do it.

So play this song instead and give your family cherry pie tonight with dinner.


1 comment:

Beth said...

Beautiful post.

Remember - sheep farmers in Greenland? Yes please.