Monday, January 11, 2010

I Am THAT Girl

Welcome to the New Year! Full of promise and excitement! I hope this post finds you working hard at the office, sporting a new pair of pumps and a cup of joe, while pretending to be putting together that Excel spreadsheet your boss needed BEFORE Christmas and yet you've been on Facebook all day and, behold! Ashinpitt/The Zoo has updated! Excel spreadsheets be damned!

Perhaps, though, I shouldn't be wishing you into the ideal situation instead of wishing you OUT of an un...ideal(?) situation. Take me for example. I hope that no one else is currently sitting in their pajamas in the basement of the house they live at, blogging while making no income and eating Special K straight from the box while drinking cold coffee. See? Unideal.

If someone were to stop me on the street today and ask me what's new in my life I would have to say that awful, dreaded, 'I can't believe these words are coming from my lips...my over-educated, hard working, 'the economy has ruined us all' lips.

"I'm between jobs."

Because, seriously...I am. I am THAT girl. I have reached the all time low in employment. I went to working FOR FREE to working NOT AT ALL.
And it's not like I'm destitute. It's not like I have no food or clothing and living on the streets. I can still go to Target and get tampons and Progresso soup. But the concept of being unemployed is daunting. The people I live with get up every day at 6:30 and are gone before I've even considered waking up in the realm of possibility. The coffee is cold by the time I go upstairs. Fresh snow is on the ground. My mother has sent me twelve emails asking if I'm dead.

So my Wish For You #3 in the New Year: Moolah
and really, I don't care how you acquire it. Get creative. Set up a pie stand on the end of your driveway. Sell all your unused lotions from under your bathroom sink. Take pictures of people's children at family gatherings and refuse to give up the print without a profit. Become secure in your lifestyle so that each paycheck doesn't make or break you. You'll be grateful you did.

I firmly believe that 2010 will be the year I get my dream job.

Eh, I get A job. Alright, 2010 will be the year I take "Street Walker" off my resume, at least.
In the mean time, enjoy what unemployment means to me. That's right. CUPCAKES.
(Fear not! I was too unwilling to part with the tub of Double Whipped Chocolate frosting in my clutches to let it be a part of the picture.)

And for double your pleasure, double your fun, I thought a little tune-age was necessary to kick off the new year.

**Edit: Oh, for the love of great crap. I love this song, truly, I do but I have never seen the video before today and can I just say that you must go to YouTube.com right now and watch it based strictly because the people in the woods with the big hair and the clown make up are just too fantastic. I stand by my choice. My creepy, big-haired, 'is that chick wearing a tuxedo??' choice.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

my theme for the new year: "2010!!! BRING ON THE MEN!!!"
love,
kel